Thursday, July 28, 2011

A different take...

I was surprised to find that this week's readings looked at the more negative side of technology.  They addressed many issues that I think are representative of some of my big problems with technology, but that I couldn't really have expressed in words.  I find this idea of "seeking" behavior incredibly interesting- probably due to my Psychology background.  What really resonated with me was the idea that we are driven more by the action of seeking than by the tangible reward of what we are seeking.  I am definitely guilty of wasting hours Googling random facts and in the end feeling more dissatisfied than I was before I ever started because at some point I run out of things to seek.  Interestingly, I heard on the radio today that studies have shown that when people are forced to go 24 hours without their smartphone, they experience the same symptoms of withdrawal- depression, lonliness, etc.- that are experienced by patients in drug rehab.  Obviously, after reading the seeking article yesterday this caught my attention.

The article on Generation M's definitions of private and public was also quite interesting.  I noticed that many of the characteristics Klapperstuck and Kearns attributed to Generation M are ones that I too possess.  I often find myself on my phone and/or computer when I'm in the company of other people, and upon reflecting (thanks to this article), I realized that the way people respond to this behavior is extremely generational.  My mom hates it when I am texting during dinner or on my laptop while watching a movie.  On the other hand, when I'm with a group of friends they are usually engaging in the same sort of multi-tasking.  In other ways, though, I think I have more in common with  my mom's generation than with Generation M.  The idea of "privacy" and sharing information on the internet is something that still makes me very uncomfortable and which I am quite wary of.  I can't help but be intrigued by this dichotomy.

After watching the PBS video a second time, I'm excited to Skype with Lauren tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you found the articles provocative. We are really looking forward to tomorrow's conversation(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting how our generation is constantly multitasking and doesn't think anything of it. I made the mistake of responding to a text a few years ago as my parents and I were finishing dinner...I don't think they spoke to me for the rest of the night because they were so mad. I never made that mistake again.

    And I wonder now if because we don't see anything wrong with doing two things at once, it leads to more dangerous forms of multitasking- like driving and texting. It's actually a little scary thinking about how the next generation will behave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What really resonated with me was the idea that we are driven more by the action of seeking than by the tangible reward of what we are seeking. "

    Exactly!! Great point, Mary!! What, exactly, are we we seeking? Does this play to our human nature to explore the unknown, to seek meaning and understanding? What is with is, in our human discontent?

    Obviously, I am a supporter of technology, but I must concede to your valid skepticism and questioning. Does the process of seeking justify the end result? Is the virtual Holy Grail really worth the pilgrimage? Does the Holy Grail even exist? Are we seeking a virtual illusion of vision?

    deceptio visus (deception of vision)

    Have a Happy August!

    ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm kinda like you...I'm very comfortable with a level of multitasking and being connected that my parents are not. On the other hand, I find myself bothered by things like: when people are angry that you don't answer your phone--if I'm out to dinner or something (or something! because sometimes, frankly, I just don't feel like talking on the phone!), I don't want to answer. I also find it weird (although increasingly less so) when people share really personal things on FB--like about fights with their partners, or stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fact about people experiencing withdrawal symptoms when they go without their smartphones for 24 hours is very interesting. I wonder how I would do without mine...but probably the fact that I'm not willing to try means I wouldn't do too well. =)

    ReplyDelete