Saturday, July 16, 2011

Magna Unda

I'm very curious about this activity that we'll be doing in class on Monday. I think it's a great idea and am very excited to try my hand at planning a lesson.  However, after reading the NY Times blog and the Tsunami scenario guidelines, I have some doubts about being able to come up with a lesson plan that connects the earthquake and tsunami in Japan with my field- Latin.  Do I sound like a broke record yet? My apologies if I do, but I really didn't see many ideas on the blog for foreign language teachers.

That being said, I think the WHERETO approach discussed in the other article will be really helpful and I'm excited to use their guidelines and suggestions in this activity and hopefully in my future lesson plans as well.  One thing that resonated with me was to provide clear learning goals and performance expectations for your students.  If students are able to understand the purpose of doing an activity or assignment they are much more likely to appreciate the value of it and to try and do well on it.   I'm hoping that with the help of my group members and the guidance of our assigned librarian I will be able to come up with an engaging lesson for teaching my Latin students about the magna unda that rocked Japan.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Mary -- Does this help at all to think about comparing a disaster from the history you'd cover in Latin class to the Japanese disaster? So off the top of my head, could you make any connection between Pompeii and Japan?

    PS - Seriously. How cute is she.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,

    You are right, as I do not believe there were any resources for World Languages on NYT... bugger! I do not speak Latin, so I could not verify this as a sources, but the news source EPHEMERIS may have some articles in Latin on the Tsunami in Japan: http://ephemeris.alcuinus.net/

    ~ Mindy

    ReplyDelete